Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tuesday, Belgium, etc.

Tuesday is not my favorite day. Mondays are the traditional "rough day" for most folks, starting out the workweek after weekend, getting back into the daily grind, taking care of business (every day!), working your way to the top, eight days a week, 16 tons...[insert your favorite cliché or song lyric here].

But for me, Tuesdays are the bane of my... um... something.

I actually started this post yesterday, a Tuesday, but the very nature of that 24-hour period of marked time rendered completion of any project nearly impossible. I couldn't even finish a single round of knitting on the Honeymoon Cami. Melanie, my hero and my Wonderwoman** friend, helped me unknit/unravel/rip out/bang-head-on-wall, and then proceeded to help me cast on again - all 183 stitches. I'm not much into all the tacky pop-culture angel thing, but she's pretty much the definition of one of those helpful guardian flying creatures. Except for the flying part.

Now that it's all over, however, I don't actually feel the need to vent or complain about the bumpiness of my interaction with the world yesterday. Melanie clarified it for me, as I fidgeted and fussed about getting everything done and getting everywhere I needed to be: "Okay," says she, "What can you control today?" She was so right, it was like a punch in the face. Although significantly less painful, it was a real awakening (sans Kate Chopin and/or Robert DeNiro).

Sometimes I feel like these grand "revelations" that I come to, despite that term's overtones of impending armageddon and subsequent rapture, are simply melodramatic attempts to justify previously unhealthy behavior. But then I realize that neither the catalyst for the lightning-bolt enlightenment (intentional pun, thank you) nor the manner of expression are relevant at all; indeed, the decision to make a change is all that matters.

Case in point: me, and scheduling every moment of every day, so much so that I am never, ever, sitting still. Rather, I am always "on my way..." somewhere, to do something, and I'm only ever just going to make it on time. It isn't as fun, or exciting as it sounds, believe me. Call me crazy, but sometimes having too many interests just ain't all it's cracked up to be. I thank Bilbo and Mr. Tolkien for the best analogy: "I feel thin, like butter spread over too much bread." (No, I am not wearing a Ring of Power. Neither am I going Gollum on you, my preciousss readersss)

Ooookay... with that in mind, I end this post with this thought:

What can I control today? My happiness, and my attempts to bring a little happiness to others. That's my Wednesday for you. So long Belgium!

~~~~~~

**Note: I wanted to use this as a link, but I didn't think Mel would appreciate. I dare you to look and not at least giggle a little, though.

1 comment:

LotusKnits said...

aww, you're the sweetest K. always glad to help in any way i can. now i just need to get my wonderwoman sexy on and then i'll live up to that image (either one, lol)

:P