Tuesday, April 18, 2006

"Brevity is the soul of wit..."

(And, if you'll recall, that was part of the humor of Polonius's characterization, for he was hardly ever concise in speech)

Well, my gentle readers, I have neglected you for quite long enough.
So, since it's only 10am and I have had NO COFFEE, this post will undoubtedly be malapropos, inchoate, and laconic. And plus I wanted to use those groovy words.

I started to write a really personal post today, but decided against it. This is a public forum, and the eerie awareness of friends and strangers sort of peering over my shoulder really gives me pause sometimes. Unless I'm ranting, of course. But an intimate discussion of my deep emotional concerns sometimes seems a little - - - self-indulgent, actually. I know most of you come here because you think I'm so awesome and everything, but I don't imagine you need to read all that junx (the eJ and the Anita will certainly both note the attempt at linguistic humor as a deflection from the possible emotional exposition). Ahem.

I will say this, however: an email that the j to the enna sent me last week is still rolling around in my head, in that way that only things that are so-true-they-sting-a-little do. Girl knows her stuff, and her timing is astonishing. The subject line of the message was: "When God pounds us repeatedly over the head," and in it, she quoted a friend-of-a-friend's blog comment. Bit of a long chain of communication, but that doesn't make the comment any less poignant, or any less startlingly apt:

"if we are beginning to learn that God is strong -
prepare to feel weak, and if we are learning that God
fills our needs - prepare to be keenly aware of your
neediness"


So...finding a church and a small group and fellowship and support has given me strength and new eyes to see the world - or, at least, has polished up the old ones - but it sure hasn't made things easier. But at least I know where I have to go to find rest, and where I can, and should, lay my burdens.

On an entirely different note (I think maybe...C#...) a friend of mine, Dave Marck, of the inimitable duo, Shelley and Dave, wrote this in the local "independent, student-run" newspaper. One can only imagine the level of ignorance and bad writing typical of this paper, and you Athens locals can do more than imagine: you've probably been subjected to the agonies of those editorial/opinion/ill-informed articles. Dave, however, is a former editor and a darn good writer, and he wrote the linked article in response to an opinion piece by a philosophy major here at UGA. A philosophy major, writing about the American Soldiers and their bad behavior in Iraq, blaming them, rather than the government. I'll let you read the articles and the responses without my own opinion (yet!), but I will say this: I agree that the philosophy brat is a pompous a**. And you all know how I react to pomposity.

That's all for today, boys and girls. I'll have plenty more to say tomorrow. And what is it with me and Tuesdays, anyway?

5 comments:

Anita said...

Thanks for the amusing post and the links to more amusements at Ye Olde Red & Black. It would greatly amuse me to see you.

jmg said...

i can't believe we didn't celebrate Karen Revolutionary Day back on January 31st. blast!

and, that last link--is it supposed to suggest a cold, blank stare, or did my computer just not load the pic?

great, amusing and effectively deflective post!!!

LotusKnits said...

Nice job deflecting and junx.

Come to the beach. I will make you cookies and we can gab and be self indulgent and teary. And I will swear not to laugh at you when you drop cookie down your bikini top. Not even a snicker.

scøüpe said...

first, there nothing close to brevity in that post.
second, don't you still owe me coffee and a muffin from two or three months ago? pay up woman.

karen-the-great said...

coffee and muffin await your arrival in the merry old land of athens. I would mail your prize, but things might spill and go stale, and nobody wants that. :)