Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hoping I don't sound snobbish...

Okay, so here's the thing.

I'm completely addicted to online randomizers, search engines, and silly games.

Facebook? Oh yeah. All up on it with my friends from UGA (and Henry IV and American Black Belt Academy and JMU and MCHS and...). I do not have a single "friend" that I haven't worked, played, or talked with in person.

MySpace? Not so much, however. - MySpace is a bizarre singles bar, somehow, wherein complete strangers want to be my "friend." Riiiight. Seems a bit, um, desperate? hopeless? false? to try to connect to people that I've never met and, in the case of the very young man from Southern California who requested a friendship, probably never will meet. As anyone born after 1976 can tell you, online identities are only faintly connected to the soul behind the words. If one believes that the gorgeous chick with the awesome "profile" on MySpace is quite as "cool" as she seems, then one must, perforce, believe that Stephen King's characters are exact replicas of himself, rather than a complex juxtaposition of imagination, observation, and self-analysis (or awareness, one might argue). But to propose that both little Danny Torrance and Roland of Gilead are true replications of the author seems rather a stretch.

And, even as I typed this last week, (Feb. 14) I sensed my own hypocrisy. That's the reason I am only now posting this blog; I knew, in the deeper part of my gregarious soul, that even I had succumbed to the draw of both FaceBook and MySpace. Thus, here I sit, while supposed to be preparing for church, typing a blog and trying to avoid checking my MySpace "comments" and "messages," though only really delaying the inevitable for another few hours. I mean, I did find Michelle from college, Steve from dance class, and Erin from middle school and high school on there. That is pretty darn cool, I must admit.

My friends that are members of either (or both, as in most cases) may be appalled by this post, in that it flagrantly attacks an exercise that many consider one of the ways that they expand their social circles. Just know, dear readers, that I love chatting with and keeping up with "youse guys" with these...message boards? Group lists? Search engines?

I surrender! But at least I didn't go down without a fight!

No comments: