Friday, January 6, 2006

Sweet grasshopper Joe.

Yesterday was a day of days.

Would have been warm, but for a chill wind out of the west...My little beetle-bug was tossed back and forth on the road as a ship on high seas. Or a little green pea in a big bowl of soup.

Good news, all who wonder and worry: I have a job! Well, two 1/2, actually. Still working a few odd hours here and there at the insurance agency, but adding about 10 hours at C2 Educational Center in Suwannee/Snellville and, believe it or not, at Gainesville College, Oconee campus. I'll be the Writing Tutor for the Regent's test students out there, 4 days a week.

I'll probably still be poor beyond all sense, but I'll be learning and working and challenged, especially at Gainesville. But getting that call yesterday morning was like a bright light in the dark, and one that stayed true until the evening.

The night was bitter, and sweet, and full of regret. Not something I usually experience. My usual mantra of "no regrets, only lessons learned" doesn't really work in the case of a lost friends and happy memories' fading. I talked with an old love for hours, took his hand, and drove away without him. I am strong, but not without sorrow.

Enough pretension, enough crystallization of emotions in cold, false poetic terms. On, life! Write, on!

My jiu-jitsu instructor taught me a valuable lesson yesterday afternoon, using an old television drama and some martial arts wisdom: (If you get this reference, then you are cooler than I was at 7:30pm yesterday,though not cooler than my 8pm version).

A blind man and a young boy with eyes closed listen to the silence for a moment.
"Can you hear the grasshopper at your feet?"
"Old man, how can you hear that?"
"Young man, how can you not?"

In fact, if you get it, you are so cool that I'll buy you a yummy cup of Hot Corner joe (or tea, if you like) if you are the first person to name the show and the lead actor. :) (I'll buy you a muffin if you submit a nice treatise on the philosophy of the interchange!)

AND! come on by Hot Corner. It's hot. (actually, they keep it FREEZING in here, probably to encourage the purchase of more toasty beverages!)

Be warm, my friends.

4 comments:

scøüpe said...

though i've no idea where hot corner is and seriously doubt your continued presence there into the wee hours of the morning, i submit 'kung-fu' as the show and david carradine as the lead actor who has flashbacks to his childhood in some asian martial arts monastery.

i also will say it is a matter of focus. the old man has attuned his senses to the most minute of noises and actions in order to achieve the fighting ability and zen-like cohabitation with nature that any great (shao-lin?) monk must seek to achieve.
i can walk outside and say "it's going to rain later this afternoon," or "it's warm today but tonight will be chillier than you'd expect." many people have looked at me and asked how i can tell. it's because i have focused my attention on such elemental matters throughout my childhood and adolescence. now, it comes naturally.
does that earn me a muffin? or perhaps a scone...?

karen-the-great said...

Well well, we have a winner!

Hot Corner is in Athens, over-there-down-yonder by the 40-Watt.

You have earned yourself a coffee and a muffin (or croissant - no scones:( )

jmg said...

hooray! my bro is so kung-fu aware. i am impressed. i also wish i had half his capacity for learning actors' names!!!

scøüpe said...

i do what i do.
a wise man once said, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
i never liked that idea. i say, "if at first you don't succeed, give up and try something else."